I’m Working from Home – Do I Need Extra Insurance?

Last year the Office of National Statistics revealed that more than 1.5 million of us consider ourselves as ‘home workers’. This increase in working from home has been driven by advances in technology, an increased demand for a more flexible work schedule and the rise of freelance services.
Insurance for working at Home
But will you be covered by your home insurance if you need to make a claim that relates to your work or home business? At Clover Insurance, we provide home and business insurance services in Cheshunt, St Albans, and all across Hertfordshire and North London, and know all about finding the right policy. Here we offer some useful advice.

Get A Quote

Check Your Existing Home Contents Policy…

When it comes to your existing home policy, what is covered depends a lot on the small print. While some insurers allow for administration and business clauses, others may specifically rule out items used for business purposes. Therefore, it is important to check your policy and with your insurer to find out what is covered

…and Your Employer’s Policy

If you take a company laptop, mobile or other equipment home from the office, it is worth discussing this with your employer what their insurance policy covers. It may be that these items are covered and you have nothing to worry about. However, they may not be covered by their policy or your own. If this is the case, it is worth you or your employer taking out an ‘all-risks’ policy that covers business equipment. This policy would also provide cover if the equipment is damaged when you are not at home or in the office.

Other Factors to Consider

Just as you may take company equipment home, you may also need to take stock or samples home with you, especially if you are visiting a client first thing in the morning or heading off on a business trip. In such eventualities, it is worth checking your employer’s business insurance to see what is covered. You may also have to look at your employer’s vehicle insurance policies.

If you run your own business from home and have employees, then it is likely you will be required to take out Employer Liability Insurance. There are some exemptions to this, such as some family businesses where all employees are related, but it is of course still important to protect family members’ health and wellbeing. We can advise you on taking out this type of insurance.

For those who are self-employed or run a small business, you may have clients who visit you at your home. Public Liability Insurance will provide you with the necessary cover should they make a claim after suffering an accident or injury in your home.

Home and Business Insurance Services from Clover Insurance

Working from home raises a lot of questions when it comes to insurance. If you take items home from the office such as laptops, phones and stock, it is important to find out what is covered by your employer and what is not. Should you need to insure some of these items yourself, Clover offer tailored personal insurance services and can find the right policy for you.

If you are running a business from home, it is important to check what is covered as part of your Home Insurance policy. You may require additional cover if equipment you need for your business is not included. If clients visit your home, protecting yourself should they claim for an injury (however unlikely it may seem) is a sensible precaution, as is Employer Liability insurance if you have any employees who work with you at your home.

Clover Insurance provides home and business insurance services in Cheshunt, Hertfordshire and North London, covering areas including St Albans, Harlow and Hitchin. If you would like to know more or ask for a quote on business, home, personal or vehicle insurance contact us by clicking here or calling us on 020 8805 1121.

Get A Quote